JuMp uP tO oUr JaNuArY aRt CHaLLleNgE!!
So here’s the plan, set yourself a personal art challenge and a finishing deadline of 31st January. Take the opportunity to do something you’ve always been meaning to but never got round to. Here are some examples off the top of my head:
- Clean out your art cupboard and try working with all those mediums hidden at the back, give them a fair chance and then throw out all the ones you still hate. Bring them to our next meeting to swap with other members. Reorganise your favourites so they don’t get forgotten again.
- Buy or make a new sketch book and complete a page a day
- Buy a bigger than you are used to canvas and complete an acrylic or oil painting
- Book yourself on to an online art course
- Paint a domestic interior, include family members
- Sketch people every day
- Be brave and do some sketching in an urban environment or take your sketch pad on a country walk ( go on your own or contact another member to go with you)
- Do the same subject every week in the style of a different artist
- Work on a self portrait or landscape in collage
- Go abstract
I’m sure you can think of your own possibilities. Here’s the important bit, when you have decided what your personal challenge is LeT uS kNoW by email to both Johnsteadmanhas@icloud.com and firstname.lastname@example.org , then you will be committed and there will be no time for hibernation!!. Deadline for Show and Tell our first meeting in February or online. GoOd LuCk!!
Here's who's taking part
- Wayne Olgilvie - I usually do landscape paintings but decided to do something with birds for this challenge, push myself out of my comfort zone.
- Shirley Waddington - here are the challenges I will try to do -
1. Clean and sort out my art cupboard - you will see it badly needs it from the photo!
2. Do some outdoor sketching, even if I have to wear gloves!!
3. Work on a landscape picture in collage - I went to a lovely castle in Surrey with my granddaughters on Christmas Eve, so would like to try that as my collage picture.
- Jo Sykes - I’ve already had a tidy and sort out in my studio – it was soo good!
I am planning to focus on my two main media ( graphite and oil and cold wax medium). I’m going to really play with them and experiment seeing what I can do with them!
- Linda Downs - 1) Spring clean clear out of all my art stuff. 2) Big magazine collage landscape. (Not started!).
- John Steadman - I have started an online art course in pastels for 2022. My challenge is to complete 4 pastel paintings in January, 2 from the course and 2 of my own.. Subject - Rivers and `Streams
- Rachel - I plan to do urban sketches around Huddersfield and the town centre. I will try to do some sketching outdoors and work from photographs as well.
- David Whiting - Landscape collage.